1.9.14

5 Good Films to watch on Netflix

I hate to sound like a broken record but I hate the non-existent internet! As a result I am writing this post in a cafe (yes I do feel like a cool, freelance journalist- I'm sure everyone else here totes thinks I am). Not having a job=watching a LOT of Netflix (once the job hunting has finished for the day of course!). These are some gems I've discovered along the way.




Frances Ha
This film revolves around a 27 year old living in New York and trying to make it as an dancer. Dull a premise as that may sound, I just fell in love with Frances!  The film is quite hipster-ish as it's shot in black and white and many of the characters are middle class bohemian, arty types. Normally this may put me off, but I think Frances Ha leans on the adorable side of typical-quirky-girl-living-in-New-York. She's so likeable and empathetic that you can't help yourself rooting for her. Her turbulent friendship with best pal Sophie is also sweet and touching, and I like that it's the most important relationship in the film.








Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorfs
A documentary about the high-end department store Bergdorf Goodman's in New York, this film features stories from a number of celebrities, stylists and designers. The anecdotes are funny and interesting, particularly those from Iris Apfel and my new favourite person Betty Halbreich, a hilariously blunt personal shopper who doesn't hold back. Through this documentary I also discovered my appreciation for Linda Fargo, who is one stylish lady. 
Bill Cunningham New York
Of course I had heard of Bill Cunningham before I watched this film, but for some reason I imagined he would be really serious and gloomy, I don't know why! I could not be more wrong however. He is the cutest and most cheerful man. At times this documentary almost made me cry, I won't ruin it and tell you why but it's a bit of an emotional rollercoaster! Just a really entertaining film about a sweet and fascinating character. A must, must watch.










Paul Smith: Gentleman Designer
I wanted to go and see the Paul Smith exhibition in London when it was on but missed it so was glad to catch this instead. Again, I had heard of Paul Smith but knew little about him. The documentary is split into three parts as you follow Paul around London, Paris and Tokyo whilst gaining an insight into the man himself , the brand and the influences behind the clothes. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the womenswear on offer- it was much cooler and edgier than I expected.









The Pixar Story
A behind the scenes look at how Pixar went from a tiny start up company to the giant it is today. I loved watching Waking Sleeping Beauty (sadly not on Netflix anymore) which is in a similar vein as It's a lot of fun to see how your favourite characters came to be- animators are definitely a talented bunch of peeps! Side note: I recently found out about The Pixar Theory, which is the idea that all the Pixar films exist in the same universe and link together. I'm not convinced it exists but it's fascinating that this came out of someone's brain! I love film theories and speculations, like this one about the link between Leonardo Dicaprio's films.







What have you enjoyed recently on Netflix? I'm always looking for good stuff to watch, so hit me up with some recommendations! 

Faye x

2 comments:

  1. I loved The Pixar Story!! :) I tend to watch TV shows but Being Elmo is good.

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thank you for the recommendation I will check it out :) x

      Delete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS